There are literally hundreds of different single divan beds available at the moment, which makes it close to impossible to pick the right one unless you narrow down your options.
In this post, I’ll be giving a few examples of single divan beds, as well as some tips to make sure you don’t spend hours looking at the wrong type of beds for you.
The first thing you need to do when buying any large piece of furniture, such as a divan bed, is to set your budget. If you don’t know how much you have to spend, then it becomes extremely difficult to narrow down your options. By setting a strict budget you’re immediately ruling out a large portion of the beds available and this will help you make the best decision.
Next, you need to consider how you like your bed to feel when you go to sleep. Do you like the bed to be as soft as possible? If so, then go for a spring edge bed. Do you like a firm bed? If you do, then a platform top base will be the best option. Again, if you know what kind of bed you want before you start, then you will narrow down your options and you won’t waste a lot of time looking at divan beds that aren’t right for you.
Table of Contents
Best Divan Beds 2020
How to Choose Divan Beds
Spending hours looking for a new bed isn’t most people’s idea of fun, but it can make a big difference in the quality of the bed you ultimately buy. In this post, we’ll be talking about a few of the things you need to think about when looking at divan beds to help you get the right one.
- First of all, you should remember that everyone spends a large amount of time each and every day sleeping, so it’s important to make sure you have a comfortable bed. There’s nothing worse than having an uncomfortable night’s sleep so comfort is of primary importance when choosing a double or single divan bed. Don’t be afraid to go ahead and lay down on a bed in a showroom. That’s what they are there for.
- Next, you should decide whether you want a divan bed or a different kind of bed. When people talk about divan beds they usually mean beds with a base that includes storage drawers, so if you don’t need extra storage in your bedroom a cheaper option may be available.
- Aside from comfort the next most important thing when choosing any type of bed is the style and patterns you want. If you don’t feel adventurous, then buying plain white sheets and duvets will go well with most color schemes. Otherwise, try to get colors that match or complement your rooms’ existing design.
- When it comes to comfort, one of the things that can make all the difference is how well the bed is constructed. This is one of the advantages of buying in a physical retail shop as you can see the bed in real life before you buy and even try it out. You might find lower prices on the internet, but it’s difficult to be sure of the quality of a bed without seeing it.
- A metric for deciding on the quality of a bed mattress is how many springs it has. In most cases, you’ll find that the more coils of spring the bed contains, the firmer it’ll be although this may or not be a good thing depending on your personal preferences.
- When buying a divan bed make sure you get one with the right drawer storage solutions for you. There are different storage options for divan beds, usually drawers or cabinets. Since most bases can be easily customized, be sure to find the one that suits you best.
While buying a new bed is usually not easy, hopefully, these tips will give you a better chance of finding the right one in a reasonable amount of time. While you don’t want to spend days looking for a new bed, the more time you put in the more likely you are to find the right one.
Divan beds are extraordinary furniture. Combining the functionality of a storage unit, seating area, and sleeping area into one piece of furniture makes them a popular choice among bed buyers. They can fit into any style of decor, any room which typically houses a bed or a seating area, and any budget. They also come in many different sizes. A double divan bed is perfect if you’d like that extra storage space but want the comfortable size of a typical double bed.
A double divan bed is a great bed for any bedroom. Like all divan beds, the double divan bed comes with drawers built into the frame underneath the mattress. Typically it has two drawers, but if you have your double divan bed made to custom-order you can add more. Sometimes pre-made models also have more than two drawers. This added storage space gives it a lot of functionality.
In a child’s room, the underneath storage area can be used for toys, clothing, school supplies or other personal items. A divan bed is sturdy and built to last. This bed can grow with your child, through their teen years, and they can bring it with them when they go off to college, where no doubt they will find the extra storage particularly useful. When they are done using it, you can bring it back and furnish your guest room.
The guest room is a great place for either a single or a double divan bed. The drawers underneath gives you space to neatly store your things, and the double bed gives your guests a fantastic night’s sleep every time they come to visit.
A double divan bed is also the perfect option for a smaller bedroom, a single person’s bedroom, or for a couple that likes to sleep close together at night. The storage space gives you a place to put off-season clothes and bed linens, and the mattress is as comfortable as a traditional bed.
So if you’re looking for a new bed and want the added kick of extra storage, a divan bed could be the perfect option.
The History of Divan Beds
Box springs continued to improve in comfort, appearance and functionality over the last 50 years. Unfortunately for retailers, however, whenever a customer heard the term “box spring”, he saw the product as low-end regardless of how finely crafted the box spring was. And so was born the divan bed.
A couple of retailers in the heart of London’s furniture district decided to start calling their box springs “divan beds.” Granted, their box springs were very high end and much more than just an economical bed piece. They were selling elegant beds that were highly functional, customizable and practical. However, at the heart of all their beds was the box spring. One of the retailers came up with the idea when his mother-in-law visited their store and and called one of their beds “simply divine.” And that got him to thinking… divine… divine comfort… divine bed… ahh!… divan bed! And the rest, as they say, is history.
Great story, eh? If only it were that romantic. In actuality, there was no retailer with a famous mother-in-law. Divan beds, though, do have their roots in the traditional box spring. They are similar to the traditional box spring in that they are made of a base with the mattress resting on top of it. That is about as close as they get to the original beds, however.
Today’s divan beds come in a wide assortment of sizes (double divan beds, for example), comfort levels, finishes and storage options. These innovations were driven both by bed manufacturers, but also by linen retailers and mattress manufacturers who greatly benefited from the increase in divan bed sales.
Divan beds are most popular in the UK. In fact, the UK is the only European market where divan beds are sold. You would have to go to America or Australia to find other countries that sell divan beds on a large scale. However, given the fact that so many retailers have an online presence today, you could easily purchase no matter where you live. But the shipping and handling cost might cost you the same amount as the bed. Ouch!