In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about a platform bed.
What it is.
How it works.
(And most important of all) how to get the best one.
Let’s dive right in.
Table of Contents
- Best Platform Beds 2019
- 1. Zinus Shalini Upholstered Diamond Stitched Platform Bed
- 2. Zinus Curtis Essential Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
- 3. Zinus Suzanne Metal and Wood Platform Bed with Headboard
- 4. Zinus Mia Modern Studio 14 Inch Platform
- 5. Life Home Premiere Classics Cloth Light Grey Silver Linen
- 6. Zinus Omkaram Upholstered Navy Button Detailed Platform Bed
- 7. LIFE Home Platform Bed, Queen, Light Grey
- 8. Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Solid Wood Platform Bed with Headboard
- 9. Zinus Dachelle Upholstered Button Tufted Premium Platform Bed
- 10. Zinus Lottie Upholstered Square Stitched Platform Bed
- 11. Zinus Gerard Deluxe Faux Leather Upholstered Platform Bed
- 12. Zinus Ibidun Upholstered Button Tufted Platform Bed
- 13. DHP Dakota Upholstered Platform Bed with Storage Drawers
- 14. Prepac EBK-8400-K King Sonoma Platform Storage Bed with 6 Drawers, Espresso
- 15. South Shore Step One Platform Bed with Storage, Full 54-Inch, Pure Black
- What is a platform bed?
- Modern platform bed Frames
- There are two types of platform beds.
- Advantages of Platform Beds
- How to build a platform bed
Best Platform Beds 2019
1. Zinus Shalini Upholstered Diamond Stitched Platform Bed
2. Zinus Curtis Essential Upholstered Platform Bed Frame
3. Zinus Suzanne Metal and Wood Platform Bed with Headboard
4. Zinus Mia Modern Studio 14 Inch Platform
5. Life Home Premiere Classics Cloth Light Grey Silver Linen
7. LIFE Home Platform Bed, Queen, Light Grey
8. Zinus 12 Inch Deluxe Solid Wood Platform Bed with Headboard
9. Zinus Dachelle Upholstered Button Tufted Premium Platform Bed
10. Zinus Lottie Upholstered Square Stitched Platform Bed
11. Zinus Gerard Deluxe Faux Leather Upholstered Platform Bed
12. Zinus Ibidun Upholstered Button Tufted Platform Bed
13. DHP Dakota Upholstered Platform Bed with Storage Drawers
14. Prepac EBK-8400-K King Sonoma Platform Storage Bed with 6 Drawers, Espresso
15. South Shore Step One Platform Bed with Storage, Full 54-Inch, Pure Black
What is a platform bed?
Platform beds refer to those beds which have a base consisting of a flat, raised, hard and horizontal surface meant for supporting just a mattress.
Such beds offer firm cushioning.
They also eliminate the requirement for box spring or mattress foundation with the support of the slats or the solid paneling.
They provide adequate support to the mattress by itself.
The bedroom forms the core of a home. Everyone wants to decorate the bedroom elegantly and comfortably so that it looks beautiful and cool.
In a bedroom, the bed is the center of attraction, but many bedrooms are small. The lack of space makes a bedroom look cluttered and untidy.
Platform beds are one solution to this problem and perhaps the best option.
A platform bed consists of a mattress placed on a solid platform that is raised off the floor by legs or framing. It does not have springs. The space below the platform can be used for storage.
Modern platform bed Frames
Modern platform beds have this contemporary style which usually features clean lines, neutral elements as well as solid color characteristics.
They usually reflect European styles that generally include low features along with straight bold lines.
A few of these styles incorporate microfiber as well as leather padding on the headboard for using it as a backrest while sitting in the bed.
In recent times, modern platform beds have also been influenced by the Japanese or Asian cultures.
As a matter of fact, some of them are used along with the traditional Japanese tatami mats.
Most modern platform beds feature drawers below the frame, which act as storage space, and might be located under the side rails or might include drawers which are incorporated in the footboard of a bed.
Several other platform beds provide retractable storage headboard units that offer deep storage.
Apart from the above-mentioned styles, modern platform beds are available in various other styles.
There are two types of platform beds.
The wooden platform bed is usually made from oak or maple. It adds both warmth and beauty to any type of bedroom décor.
It is available in many different standard sizes like full, king, queen, and twin.
Although platform beds are designed to support only a mattress, they can be customized for use with box springs.
This can be done by altering the height of the headboard and lowering the size of the slate board.
Generally, the wooden platform bed is given a Danish oil finish.
The metal platform bed comes in many different styles, from contemporary to traditional, and it is available in a variety of colors.
It has predrilled holes to allow for adjustment of the height of the bed. Special quality steel adds strength and durability.
To avoid stripping and over-tightening the bolts, a special Allen wrench is used. Steel crossbars and sheets of Masonite are used to support the side railings.
Platform Beds with Storage Drawers
Platform beds with storage drawers come in many different styles and designs whether it’s modern or contemporary, country or Asian or basic and simple.
Storage space is always in demand when it comes to small bedrooms. If you have a small bedroom and you’re forced to go with the smaller Twin or Full-size bed so you can have enough room for a dresser or bureau.
A platform bed with storage drawers gives you the option of choosing the queen or king-sized bed you’ve always wanted without giving up storage space.
This design uses the wasted space underneath the bed by building the drawers into the platform bed frame. With this style of bed, you have the option to do without a dresser or bureau.
Leather & Upholstery Platform Beds
Upholstery style beds are for those looking to create a new, modern look to their master bedroom with the richness of leatherette or Faux Leather upholstery.
Some of the beds offer the best of both worlds! A wooden platform bed frame combined with upholstery headboards gives these beds a luxurious quality.
Vinyl upholstered platform beds also come in many different styles and colors with tufted upholstered headboard in different patterns giving them a unique look in the bedroom.
Upholstery beds are first built with wooden frames which gives them durability and sturdiness. They are then covered with padding or foam that creates the cushion, followed by the covering of the upholstery that completes the design.
Keep in mind that not all upholstery style beds are created equally.
Depending on the style of the bed, the materials used to construct the bed and the type of upholstery used for the finishes will greatly affect the quality and design of the platform bed.
Wooden Platform Beds
Wooden platform beds come in a wide variety of styles and designs. Here are a few key reasons why you should buy a platform bed.
- Unlike the traditional-standard bed, most platform beds do NOT require a box spring or foundation to support the mattress. Platform beds are designed with wooden slat support systems for the mattress. What does this mean for you? First of all, this can save you hundreds of dollars on a box spring that you would spend on traditional style beds. It can also save you the hassle of getting the box spring up to the bedroom. In some cases, it is almost impossible to get a box spring up a tight staircase or through small hallways.
- Another great feature wooden platform beds offer are optional storage drawers that provide added storage space for the bedroom. With most platform beds, the storage drawers are built into the bed frame and utilize the wasted space underneath the bed.
- Wooden platform beds come in a huge selection of styles, shapes, and designs for just the right look in the master bedroom, guest room, and children’s bedroom.
Kids Platform Beds & Bunk Beds
When it comes to children’s bedrooms there are many things to consider when looking to purchase a new bed.
The child’s age
A child transitioning from crib to a real bed will appreciate that some platform beds have a low profile design.
This is a nice feature for the first time of falling out of bed! Look for Captains bed or Mate’s bed.
As children get older we have a selection of beds to appropriately accommodate their needs.
What does the bed need to provide other than a place for the child to sleep? Some of our platform beds come with optional storage drawers.
This is a huge bonus for a child’s bedroom because it helps kids with clutter control.
This allows youngsters to put away their toys, puzzles, games, books, artwork, video games, sports equipment, favorite clothes, and treasured items for safekeeping.
Some of our kid’s platform beds-come with optional trundle. If you have children who love to have sleepovers then a trundle is a great idea.
Trundles fit underneath the bed and make great accommodation for when friends or family come to spend the night.
Simply pull the trundle out from under the bed and when not in use it disappears back under the bed and out of the way.
Small size bedroom vs bunk beds
This tends to be a common problem with large families, and where two siblings share a small bedroom.
The great advantage of bunk beds is that they use vertical space instead of floor space, giving the sibling more room in the bedroom.
There is a huge selection of bunk beds.
The bunk beds come with optional storage drawers or trundle and are available in twin over twin, twin over full and full over full.
There is a huge selection of bunk beds with stairs for easier access, and loft bunk beds to create even more room for a desk or toy chest underneath the bed.
Please keep in mind that bunk beds are best suited for older children.
Never allow a child of any age to hang or tie anything to the side of their bunk bed.
Advantages of Platform Beds
Plans and instructions are available on the Internet for making your own platform bed.
Since box springs are not needed, they provide a better mattress support area.
With increased storage space, the room looks clean and tidy.
These affordable beds fit any budget.
Dust doesn’t collect under the bed, which is good news for people with allergies, especially to dust.
They are very comfortable.
They are portable.
How to build a platform bed
Best of all, it’s easy to build a platform bed yourself from scratch. Here are some tips you’ll find helpful if you want to do it yourself.
First, a platform bed is composed of three major parts: the platform, the headboard, and storage boxes.
Materials for a Platform Bed
The two main types of wood used to make a platform bed are poplar and plywood. Poplar wood is used for the stile, mullion, rail, cap, facing, and the platform edge. Plywood is used for the panel, divider, back, top/bottom, end, toe kick face, toe kick end, cleat, and platform.
A circular saw with a speed square is recommended to ensure precision cutting. You’ll need a large flat table to rest the wood on when you’re cutting and gluing the parts.
In addition to the wood, you’ll need sandpaper, joining plates, woodscrews, finish nails, carpenter’s glue, latex primer, and enamel.
Of course, you’ll also need a hammer, a drill or automatic screwdriver, and a sander, unless you’re sanding by hand.
You’ll find detailed step-by-step plans for different styles of platform beds online at Ask the Builder, Popular Mechanic, and similar websites.
Different plans cover the needs of different people. For example, you might want a low-lying platform bed, in which case you might want to skip the storage boxes.
You can customize your platform bed to suit your needs and taste. That’s the beauty of building your own!